Like any other professionals, electricians can be classified into two different categories, namely, the generalists and the specialists. The electricians who are specialists include commercial, maintenance, and industrial categories. No matter what the category an electrician belongs, it is imperative that he can do maintenance and electrical repairs in both residential and commercial buildings.
There are several requirements on how to become an electrician in Capalaba that need to be complied with. These are essential prerequisites to be able to get an apprenticeship training:
- Age must be 18 years old
- High school certificate or its equivalent diploma
- Knowledge of Algebra
- Physically and mentally fit
How to become an electrician:
- Earn a high school certificate in a vocational-technical school or any training academy. This is essential. You cannot progress in becoming an electrician in Capalaba if you cannot present any support of your educational attainment.
- Enroll in pre-apprenticeship training.
Learning the basics of doing electrical work is easier when you are not in the formal apprenticeship program yet. This program offers a more relaxed environment to acquire an introduction to the trade that enhances your expertise.
- Apply for apprenticeship
You can apply for an apprenticeship as soon as you are ready. This includes classroom courses and actual training.
- Register in your state as a trainee electrician
There are states that require trainees to register as an apprentice before one is permitted to do actual work.
- Complete the apprenticeship
This is the core of the program. This is a combined actual training and classroom courses. In this phase, you are being supervised by a licensed electrician who will assess your performance. You are being paid in an hourly basis during this program.
- Get a license
Every place has a different process and standard in getting a license. Other states also do not require a license.
- Enroll in a continuing education program to keep you updated with the latest trends and technology in your craft.
- Decide what category of an electrician you want to pursue, a generalist or a specialist.
- Aspire a supervisory or managerial position as you go on with your career. You may want to establish a business of your own.
Becoming an electrician is not so complicated. The requirements are not so sophisticated but the responsibility that goes with being an electrician requires expertise and commitment to the job.